Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Take care of yourself first, then help others

The most important thing a women can do for herself is make sure that she is OK before attempting to help others. Getting enough sleep, taking a hot bath, or going for a walk may help emotionally as well as physically. I personally take on other people's problems when I hear about them. I feel like I can sometimes contribute some kind of advice or help in some way, but I don't realize ahead of time how time consuming it will be in the long run. I sometimes put other's priorities over my own and then find myself cranky, impatient, and overwhelmed. I don't know how to say no in a polite way without feeling guilty. Sometimes you can get the phone ringing off the hook with text's, emails, and calls that won't stop. The kids and hubby want dinner but you are too exhausted to cook or do anything else for the day. Then of course, you feel guilty again. Now that my kids are grown up it's not as bad, but I have learned to relax. That may sound a bit funny to some but it has been a life long skill for me to learn and I take it seriously. What do I do you may ask? I sleep till I'm not tired anymore, I enjoy my coffee with the radio on, I don't get dressed until I feel like it or have to go somewhere. I screen my calls for important ones, that's what the voicemail is for. If you are relaxing you can always call back later. Make appointments for times that are convenient not back to back early in the mornings or when it might cause stress. I can get away with it a little more than other's I'm sure, but some of these things really do help relax. I sometimes choose comfortable clothes, slip on shoes and easy stuff to wear. I also have a favorite blanket and heating pad and recliner nearby readily available. I'm sure these may seem overboard to most of you but if you try some of these tricks you will definitely see a big difference in how long you can relax. Let me know how any of these ideas work for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment